Chiang Rai is a small city (67.000 inhabitants) located on the north of Thailand. Although it’s not big it is a popular tourist destination because of its beauty and many attractions that it offers. Almost every tourist tour on Thailand includes a visit to Chiang Rai – a city with picturesque surrounding that includes beautiful countryside and high mountains. We have completed a list of things that every traveler should visit when in Chiang Rai.
- Wat Rong Khun – a beautiful Buddhist temple (Wat) also known as White Temple is a place that is visited by hundreds of worshipers every day. Its unique architecture makes this temple one of a kind not only for Chiang Rai but for whole Thailand. Wat Rong Khun is something that you should not miss while in Chiang Rai.
- Phu Chi Fa Forest Park – a place where you can see the natural beauties of Chiang Rai. This park is visited by both – Thai and foreign tourists who usually go here to see the sunrise or the sunset. The picture of the sun rising above the mountains is amazing and something you won’t forget for a long time.
- Mae Fah Luang Art and Culture Park – besides natural parks Chiang Rai has culture parks too. This is actually a big botanic garden with lots of streams, museum-like buildings housing lots of artifacts and many different Thai plants. People often use this place to have picnics and enjoy the nature.
- Clock Tower – located near night bazaar area, this clock is one of the most famous attractions of Chiang Rai. It is especially interesting during the night because it changes its colors every hour. Make sure you take a photo when you are around this interesting clock tower.
- Wat Phrathat Doi Tong – another amazing Buddhist temple constructed in the 10th century. It’s surrounded by jungle and lots of water streams. Besides the temple this complex also has a museum dedicated to Buddha where you can learn a lot about Buddhism from the young Buddhist students that are usually there.
- Baan Si Dum (Black House) – this is another art museum in Chiang Rai area that’s worth visiting. It’s located few miles north from Chiang Rai and it’s constructed by the same man that has constructed Wat Rong Khun. Even if you don’t like art much this place will certainly impress you. There are lots of unique buildings, creative architecture, many art pieces…
These are few of the places which you can visit while in Chiang Rai – the hidden gem of Thailand.